Bringing you a few more of the DPT features from issues passed. This one is from DGZ Issue 06 ‘Under The Influence’ with Neal Purchase Jnr. Photos | Tom Hawkins @tbhphoto
As a young teenager I was particularly fond of the ‘Pulse’ videos one and two. Good ol’ fashioned Aussie dingo shredding, they were kinda Australian surfing’s answer to the ‘Momentum Generation’ Taylor Steele vids. NPJ was a fixture in these videos and watching him dominate solid South Wall Ballina with Margo still sticks in my mind. To this day Neal’s unique backside tube riding at Kirra is regarded as some of the best in the world.
Neal is a man of many talents, whether it be shaping boards for his label Neal Purchase Designs, creating artwork for clothing brand Rhythm for which he was one of the original co-founders, or playing music in his band The Haldane’s Daughters. We decided what better man to ask his top 11 music and surfing influences. JA
TOP ELEVEN SURFERS
Such great inspiring and diverse people living and loving this surfing experience…
1. Nat Young – Shortboard revolution, power stylist animal with country soul. Still prefer to see this man surf over most modern guys.
2. Michael Peterson – Took Nat’s animal and went ballistic. Coolangatta style, shaper…a real shame he burnt out early.
3. Wayne Lynch – Goofy footers’ revenge!! Lifestyle and style that should be a part of every goofy foot’s psyche!!! Tube master, shaper.
4. Tom Curren – The next religious coming of style, grace and power ever since…Nat and Wayne!
5. Neal Purchase Snr – Introduced me to this Earth with an honest view and showed me the ropes, laid some serious rail, and pulled into close-out Angourie monster sets…with Baddie.
6. Occy – Power-goofy…carving backside top turns to infinity.
7. Salsa – New goofy stylist, taking modern surfing his own way.
8. Kelly Slater – Redefining the shortest most refined shortboard revolution in all conditions with style, power and grace, what do ya think?!!
9. Gerry Lopez – S-t-y-l-e and l-o-n-g-e-v-i-t-y.
10. Ellis Ericson – Is Blowing my mind on singles and shaping his versions.
11. Wayne Dean – Cooly underground carver and charger with style to make MP jealous…still shredding and shaping today.
TOP ELEVEN MUSIC
There are so many great crew on rotation, modern and old, I could get real crazy on ya…but these are the guys I keep going back to, and could not live without, oh well…
1. Neil Young – Country soul rock…and the best with Crazy Horse / Danny Whitten, Live at Fillmore.
2. Bob Dylan – Great lyrics and good time guy, especially with The Band.
3. The Rolling Stones – Rock and roll blues, I love Exile On Main Street.
4. Captain Beefheart – Started out with Howlin’ Wolf blues…then to lysergic groove maniac, Safe as Milk…mate.
5. Tom Petty – Just one of those great voices and storytellers, plus interesting music, Highway Companion.
6. White Fence – Modern 60s garage king, Live in San Francisco.
7. The Sunny Boys – The best surf music ever. Their first release was the best in my opinion.
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival – Groove kings…shiiiiitt.
9. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals – New country rock kings a long time ago in 2005.
10. Lobby Loyde – G.O.D. recorded live at Sunbury would blow any rock ‘n’ roller off his pedestal.
11. The Growlers – Introduced me to Southern Cali along with Harry the Hat!!